Wednesday 6 June 2007

Half Nelson

Cast
Ryan Gosling
Shareeka Epps
Anthony Mackie
Director
Ryan Fleck
Screenwriter
Ryan Fleck
Running Time
107 minutes

Dan Dunne (Ryan Gosling) teaches in a poor school where his unusual approach engages the pupils. But out of school, frustration fuels his drug habit. One night troubled student Drey (Shareeka Epps) chances upon him while he’s high, and a bond is forged.

First off, this movie is depressing. It's a mood piece with little plot to speak of and the mood is that of depression, but does that make it a bad movie? My answer would be no, although most people would probably disagree. It is what the makers intended it to be, a sort of antidote to those inspirational teacher dramas like Dangerous Minds presenting a more realistic portrayal of the situation. I suppose that film and others [like the recent Hilary Swank film, which I haven't seen] are based on true stories but then the "and finally..." items on news shows are true they're just not representational of what normally happens in life. The acting is very fine by the leads but the problem is that it's just an incredibly depressing film. I might watch it again on TV years from now but I wouldn't want to now or want to buy it on DVD, although that actually might be the best way to see it for the first time in a more low key, relaxed setting on a rainy afternoon.
Really I need to have two scores for this film, one for artistic quality *** and one for enjoyableness * but I'll stick with my system.