Saturday 2 June 2007

JSA: The Golden Age

Writer James Robinson
Artist Paul Smith
Colourist Richard Ory
Letterer John Costanza
Publisher DC

Some of the greatest heroes of the 1940s, including the original Green Lantern, Atom, Hawkman, Starman, and others, return in this epic tale. The story follows their postwar adventures as they battle evil in a world they fear may no longer need them. And as their importance wanes, a new hero, Dynaman, rallies the nation behind his fascist agenda.

I first came across James Robinson as the writer on the Jack Knight Starman series (1994-2001). Which may well be my favourite character and Comic Book series that I've read so far.
I am not familiar with the work of Paul Smith and in the Howard Chaykin introduction he says "Mr Smith takes a very different approach, working in a style reminiscent of the period he's illustrating. It's a risky choice, taking the distinct chance of being parody but he pulls it off, and grandly."
For the most part I like his style I'm not that familiar with the comics of the period but it works very well. The story starts slowly and there are a lot of characters which is a little confusing especially if, like me you're not familiar with the golden age DCU. Overall I think it's excellent and perhaps when I re-read it and am more familiar with the golden age I'll change the score to five stars.