Wednesday 18 January 2012

The Artist

Cast
Jean Dujardin
Berenice Bejo
John Goodman
Penelope Ann Miller
James Cromwell
Missi Pyle
Screenwriter
Michel Hazanavicius
Director
Michel Hazanavicius
Running Time
100 minutes

Hollywood 1927. George Valentin is a silent movie superstar. The advent of the talkies will sound the death knell for his career and see him fall into oblivion. For young extra Peppy Miller, it seems the sky's the limit - major movie stardom awaits. The Artist tells the story of their interlinked destinies. (The Weinstein Company)

The reputation of the film is so great that perhaps I had too high expectations. It is good but there were stretches when my mind wandered so maybe a little long. I think also I wasn't ready for how sombre sections of it would be and perhaps when I see it again I'll enjoy it more. It was only showing at the smallest cinema of three in the city so even though it was a matinee the place was packed which was fine mostly although the audience laughed out loud at poignantly comic parts (not in a mocking way) which I found strange.