Wednesday 2 September 2009

(500) Days of Summer

Cast
Joseph Gordon Levitt
Zooey Deschanel
Clark Gregg
Minka Kelly
Rachel Boston
Matthew Gray Gublert
Chloe Moretz
Screenwriters
Scott Neustadter
Michael H. Weber
Director
Marc Webb
Running Time
95 minutes

This is a story of boy meets girl, begins the wry, probing narrator of 500 Days of Summer, and with that the film takes off at breakneck speed into a funny, true to life and unique dissection of the unruly and unpredictable year-and-a-half of one young man’s no-holds-barred love affair.[Metacritic]

When you get to your seat and there are two girls in the row in front waving their feet in the air you know you're in trouble, the film starts and they're checking their phone and talking through 80-90% of the film and when you realise that you are calculating that percentage, well it was just a bad experience. Had the film been better would I have concentrated more on it and not noticed them and indeed would they have stopped talking and watched it. Moments when they stopped talking, you think, am I finding this part better because they stopped and I can concentrate or is this part really a better bit which in turn has got them to stop and watch it. I'm not sure I can score this because I didn't get to watch it properly, if I had to it would be two stars. It was interesting and inventive but didn't really work, I wasn't emotionally invested in his problems whether that was because of the talking I don't know but the story was too broken up and didn't give me time to settle in and get to know the characters. Maybe if I get to see it again some time I'll think differently. Cinemas aren't ideal places to see films I'd much rather see them alone.