Wednesday 18 June 2008

The Incredible Hulk

Cast
Edward Norton
Liv Tyler
William Hurt
Tim Blake Nelson
Tim Roth
Lou Ferrigno
Screenwriter
Zak Penn
Director
Louis Leterrier
Running Time
112 minutes

The Incredible Hulk kicks off an all-new, explosive and action-packed epic of one of the most popular Super Heroes of all time. In the film, scientist Bruce Banner desperately hunts for a cure to the gamma radiation that poisoned his cells and unleashes the unbridled force of rage within him: The Hulk. Living in the shadows—cut off form a life he knew and the woman he loves, Betty Ross—Banner struggles to avoid the obsessive pursuit of his nemesis, General Thunderbolt Ross and the military machinery that seeks to capture him and brutally exploit his power. As all three grapple with the secrets that led to The Hulk’s creation, they are confronted with a monstrous new adversary known as the Abomination, whose destructive strength exceeds even The Hulk’s own. (Universal Studios)

I still like the original better, but it was good. Admittedly I thought more of the former at the cinema than on DVD later and I haven't seen it in some time but I still think it's better, although it's not perfect, the poodle being one obvious problem. There was a kind of monumental majesty seeing the Hulk leap across the desert landscape, Ang Lee is a visual poet and that movie was like HULK in capital letters whereas this one is small case. I just don't see why they had to change the cast, while I seem to be in a minority of those who loved the original what was the point of the change. I'd say there are three fundamentals actor, character and premise if you lose any one, the whole thing is different. Which is what they wanted to do, to reboot it but why? OK you don't like the original film but it's the same characters and your doing the same story. You could have exactly the same film with the original cast, I truly don't get the need to change. Tobey Maguire hurt his back before filming Spider-Man 2, if he had had to pull out would they have really gone ahead and even changed all of the other cast. In terms of the look of the Hulk, it differed from the first one but I wouldn't say either was better. It's difficult to say how really you could portray something that strange. Cameos, the Stan Lee one was early on and seemed fine but the whole Lou Ferrigno one was just bizarre. I suppose if you didn't know who he was it wouldn't stand out as much but it was really weird. The grey Hulk bit with the light shining on him near the end stood out too much as well but again maybe that's because I know what it's referring to. I guess there's a clearer, more straight forward final fight than in the first one but again although I haven't seen it in some time I thought that one was great.