Wednesday 2 April 2008

The Diving Bell And The Butterfly

Cast
Mathieu Amalric
Emmanuelle Seigner
Marie-Josée Croze
Max von Sydow
Screenwriter
Ronald Harwood
Director
Julian Schnabel
Running Time
112 minutes

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly is the remarkable true story of Jean-Dominique Bauby, a successful and charismatic editor-in-chief of French Elle, who believes he is living his life to its absolute fullest when a sudden stroke leaves him in a life-altered state. While the physical challenges of Bauby's fate leave him with little hope for the future, he begins to discover how his life's passions, his rich memories and his newfound imagination can help him achieve a life without boundaries. (Miramax Film)

It is good but I wasn't involved in it or drawn into the story. The beginning 30 minutes or so where you see it from his eye point is clever and interesting but I felt detached from what was going on but maybe that's just me. When a film is more low key maybe I'm more aware of my surroundings and distracted by them than if the film has a more intense driving narrative. It was good, there's no denying it but I just wasn't drawn into it.