Wednesday 7 November 2007

Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Cast
Cate Blanchett
Clive Owen
Geoffrey Rush
Abbie Cornish
Samantha Morton
Screenwriters
Michael Hirst
William Nicholson
Director
Shekhar Kapur
Runtime
114m 41s

While facing danger from overseas, in the form of the Spanish Armada, and from the Babbington Plot at home, Elizabeth I (Blanchett) finds her world thrown into further turmoil when the roguish Sir Walter Raleigh (Owen) arrives at court…

I checked on the running time just before leaving for the cinema expecting it to be close to 3 hours and was pleasantly surprised that it was less than two, however while watching it it seemed to drag and had I not known I would have sworn it was longer. It was good but the whole love triangle subplot between Elizabeth, Raleigh and Bess was uninvolving and [spoiler] the Spanish Armada didn't worry me since I knew from innumerable history documentaries I'd caught over the years that that amounted to nothing.