Wednesday 22 August 2007

The Bourne Ultimatum

Cast
Matt Damon
Joan Allen
Julia Stiles
Edgar Ramirez
David Strathairn
Paddy Considine
Screenwriters
Tony Gilroy
Scott Z. Burns
George Nolfi
Directors
Paul Greengrass
Running Time
115 minutes

With his fractured memory resurfacing and the CIA determined to keep him quiet, Jason Bourne (Damon) wants answers. He arranges to meet a British journalist (Considine), whose confidential source may hold the key to exposing Treadstone, the covert agency that trained Bourne, once and for all.

Metacritic has multiple five star reviews for this and I don't necessarily disagree, it's just I have a couple issues only one of which is to do with the film itself. The documentary style "wobbly" camera is in full effect, now normally I have no objection to this but it seemed very extreme here and I started to get a headache until maybe about half way through when either I got used to it or they cut back. I had intended to watch my DVD's of the first two films before going but unfortunately didn't have the spare time, perhaps if I had they would have primed me for its style. The other problem I had is that two key moments at the end were given away in a film review podcast I listen to regularly. So I can't give the balanced opinion I would like to, given that I kept expecting certain things to happen which then did.